Introductions

A little bit about the Ragabonds. A sort of "who we are and what we are doing" thing.

Moderator: Site Team

Forum rules
Clean and truthful please.

Introductions

Postby Tigger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm

My name is Simon Painter, or Tigger, and I sort of set up this site with some help from a few others. I do a bit of the forum admin and sometimes sort out glitches in the totals board. If you have a problem with the site and no one else can help, and if you can find me, then I might just be able to fix it.

With that boring stuff out the way here's a little more about me:
I like a bit of collecting and have been known to turn in reasonable totals when I have a good spot, no nearby collectors to distract me and a six shot venti latte every couple of hours. I work in IT the rest of the time and am quite busy raising a little brother so don't get out as often as I would like.
My favourite drink is a nice warm pint of bitter and promises of such will increase my chance of making it out to a raid, but not as much as promises of pig based pie. I live in Reading and like to try to make it out to as many home raids as possible.
Tigger
Award Winning Jailbreaker

Re: Introductions

Postby Mr J » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Ian Johnson, oldest of the ancient and dubious order of Ia(i)ns,
first "Greener of the Turk",

lives in Manchester, though has arived here via East Kent and Norwich

works for KidsCan and Manchester Union

helps out Manchester Rag and Salford Rag,

has collected in more places and more often than virtually anyone, see UKRag guides.

one of the few people outside London to actually know how to get round the Tube unscathed

has founded a couple of megaraids in his time and rescued a few more

hates: flawed assumptions, lack of planning, being kept awake, enforced fun, karaoke, garlic, unpunctuality, people who blame a piece of kit because they can't use it properly

likes: proper beer, proper lager, malt whisky, real coffee, irn bru, flavouring vodka, making jams and chutney or picallili to go with home-made pie
Last edited by Mr J on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wasn't me, no i was somewhere else,
Mr J
Stomper of Peons

Postby pandamonium » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Greetings Immortals!

I'm known as Panda Richardson, the South Western version of Ian J but I don't have an ancient and dubious order! :cry: However my real name is known to very few people, and those who do know it are very privileged!

I started doing Rag when John Major was still Prime Minister and have continued to do so for some reason. Previously a member of Carmarthen Rag, City of Bath College Rag and Bath Area Rag.

I live in the Georgian city of Bath and there aren't many places where I have rattled a bucket for someone, I've been on 14 different tours and attended 15 UnderGRAND events, 8 London Loot events and 7 Hogmoney events. These days I bucket swap and marshall larger multiday events where I can use my experience to its best. However I'll still go collecting on smaller events to try and show people what can be achieved with a bit of effort.

If you need some help with something contact me and I'll see what I can do.
If you should never mix the grape and the grain, can someone please explain muesli?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they still have some good ideas!
pandamonium
Founding Father

Postby malky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi, I'm Malky. I'm one of the less active Ragabonds, but enjoy the time I can get out collecting all the more for it.

I also started doing Rag in the Nineties while at Strathclyde University. Through Rag I met my wife, and moved to the northwest of England, where I lead an Avionic Software team. Most of my other spare time is used up taking our six-year old twins to Rainbows, Beavers and Swimming Lessons.

I'm not by any means a brilliant collector, but feel that giving my time, however little, is still appreciated.

I also like good beer, and Ian's Jam.
Never been a litter bug, given head, taken drugs...
malky
Valuable contributor

Postby Ruth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:11 am

I feel quite young reading that lot!

I'm Ruth. I started RAG at Bangor university in 2001 and haven't stopped since. I live in Reading.

I'm not an amazing collector but if you want some money counted, I'm your girl. I've been to 7 (I think!) LUGs and several Loots as both collector and (more recently) marshal (bucket swapping, counting, getting the young uns out of their lovely warm beds). If I'm going to collect now, it will be likely be in London where I'm at uni or in Reading or nearby.

Bring me your cash. I will count it for you!

(sorry for all the brackets!)
Ruth
Actual Physical Princess

Postby Big Dave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi, I’m David “Big Dave” Wood, live in Gloucester, and work in Stroud as a charity rep for the Meningitis Trust. Lug was the first raid that introduced me to rags outside of Notts Karni, back in 2003, and I've not looked back since. Enjoyed fundraising so much, I decided to do it as a job too.

This doesn’t stop me collecting for other charities when I can, and I also do sponsored things like trekking the Great Wall of China to running marathons or jailbreaking

I really enjoy collecting in Tube Stations, especially Bank, which I like to pwn as often as possible. Furthest I’ve travelled for a raid was 600 odd miles from Salisbury to Aberdeen for their annual Torcher Parade - only time I've ever had a bucket so full of coins that the lid wouldn't actually fit. I have never, ever, been so happy to have a bucket swap.

When I’m not being a serial fundraiser, I like the martial arts, and do a little eskrima, a little tai chi and A LOT of ladyboy dance off. I’m an impassioned sceptic, and love science, such that I geek about it with my friend (from ladyboy dance off) Tom on You Tube.

I too like proper beer too, but don't let that put you off getting me crap beer.
Two miles more than four marathons. Please sponsor me!

I like to raise and give, and incite Tigger et al. to slap me.

Zukiji Tekaruku - Special Advisor On All Things Ninja
Big Dave
Digital Guru

Postby Otter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi I'm Otter. I've been involved with Rag for a while and as a Ragabond for the last two years. I'm based in Yorkshire and collect all over the north of England, with a few excursions south. I collect because I enjoy it.
Otter
Valuable contributor

Postby adamsapple » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm

I’m Adam George-Wood. I was born into the Rag world in 1998, in Bath. I took to collecting from the beginning, and became known for a variety of “vibrant” costumes and some half decent totals.

I work as an accountant in a coffee company, so I guess you could say I count beans for a living. My job is very busy, and I do some very odd hours, so I don’t get to do as much fundraising as I used to.

I joined Ragabonds to build up some contacts in the charity world, so I could start to go collecting again after a lengthy break. 4 years later I’m still a Ragabond because of the encouragement and friendly competition that comes from being among collecting equals, which has motivated me a lot more than doing it in isolation.

My favourite drinks are red wine, scotch whisky and slivovica (Slovak plum brandy), but not in the same glass. Despite my screen name, I don’t like apples... except in apple pie with custard.
Last edited by adamsapple on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamsapple
Ragabond and Hack Extraordinaire

Postby husey » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Huseyin (a.k.a. H-Squared, or Hussy-- for unknown reasons, or just H).

I was thrown head-first into the world of Rag in 1999 at Bath Uni and loved every minute! That experience has taught me the following:
- I can sleep in any position on any surface
- Collecting in Scotland means eating lots of chips
- Never ever let anyone named Ia(i)n buy you a drink
- Although some members of the public will always be a challenge, the nice people more than make up for it :)

Despite being somewhat nomadic in nature (living many, many miles away from the rest of the 'bonds) I've been known to show my mug a couple of times a year at collections.

I do some of the technical bits and moderation on these boards, and I also try to convince people that *this* green doesn't go with *that* green. What on earth were they thinking?

Hobbies and interests include cooking food and eating it.
husey
King of Trolls

Postby SpidermanAndy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm Andy Davies, also known as Spiderman due to a lycra Spiderman outfit I used to own (not as pretty as it sounds).

I'm one of the relative newcomers to Rag, getting involved in my second year at university back in 2006. Since then I really caught the bug getting keen on doing a lot of raids while at uni, then continuing afterwards.

Originally I am from Warrington (oop North), but am now living/working in London for an insurance broker.

As with most of the rest of the 'bonds I find a nice quiet pint of ale, followed my several noisy ones, very agreeable.
There's nothing wrong with a fat Spiderman
SpidermanAndy
Rapey Smurf

Postby TheGurtLezzer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 am

I'm Rachel Thomas, a.k.a. The Gurt Lezzer, a.k.a. Hussy's Lesbanim and a whole host of other names that are more often than not made up on the spot, and are more often than not complimentary, which is encouraging :D

I'm a bit of an anomaly, having joined Ragabonds never having been involved in Rag at university. I went to Bath Uni, so met Panda, Hussy and a few others through there, and they persuaded me to join so I could buy them drinks. My first colleciton was LOOT a couple of years ago and I loved it.

Living in Newcastle I try and do local collecting like the Gallivant and get down to London for LUG and/or LOOT each year. Not been around long enough to be considered a hack, but no longer green about collecting either.

Likes include real ale, pies and Irn Bru.

Being a 'bond is ace and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
My Marxist-Feminist Dialectic Brings All The Boys To The Yard.
TheGurtLezzer
Valuable contributor

Postby Turkey Machine » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

I suppose I should introduce myself, then. :)

I'm Jethro Walters, I showed an interest in RAG whilst at Nottingham Trent Uni, but didn't do it through varying circumstances, and I'd like to keep myself busy while I am out of regular work. Ragabonds seems like a good opportunity. :D

I cohort with Skippy and Loupie/Ruth, and it was he that introduced me to RAG.

I'd like to do the GBBF in August if there's space. :)
"Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the hero didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point?" Terry Pratchett - The Science of Discworld

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'." Rincewind - The Colour of Magic
Turkey Machine
Lurker

Postby leon_the_hitman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm Leon "the Hitman(*)" Smith. I joined Bristol RAG in 2002, working on the assumption that the ability to seperate people from their money is a prerequisite for a successful career in the legal profession.

After two years I started working on-and-off for Meningitis Research Foundation in a variety of support and fundraising roles whilst volunteering with numerous charities and community groups and studying at both of Bristol's two universities. At the University of Bristol I handled various roles on the RAG Committee and briefly co-ordinated a resurgent UWESU RAG at the University of the West of England.

Since repeatedly graduating I now work for a large national law firm as a litigator and advise on construction and engineering disputes. I'm also highly active within the local legal comunity and like nothing more than pairing up professionals and community groups with charities and fundraising opportunities. I've also been a Ragabond since 2005 and enjoy organising events, marshalling, bucket-swapping and the odd bit of collecting (especially at special events or locations like festivals *hint-hint*).

(*) From the film "LEON"

LIKES: Olives; dry martinis; industrial heritage; fun times; good chat; and SCUBA diving.

PET PEEVE / DISLIKE: People that try to quote the Police, Factories, & c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916 (c.31) to me but get it wrong.
Leon the Hitman ( http://www.hitmania.org.uk )
leon_the_hitman
Valuable contributor

Postby Honey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:42 pm

hola, bonjour, konnichi wa, haai, salam, ni hao, mambo, aloha, howdy, hello and och aye the noo

My name's Honey, and I was the RAG Chair at Bishop Grot Uni in Lincoln, and while my term in office has ended i can't help but rant and rave about charity still, so i was dragged in this direction (thanks panda :D )

loves:motorbikes, charity, music, my guitar, ice cream and jelly. helping people who cant help themselves.
dislikes: society, the government, celery and having no ice cream.

Well feel free to say howdy. cant wait to raise some muuullllaaaah!

Honey
x

P.S the hello's were spanish, french, japanese, afrikaans, azerbijani, chinese, congo, hawaiin, red neck-ian, english, and of course good ol' personal fave, SCOTTISH! (which actually means "are you ok jus now?")
Honey
Quiet but thoughtful

Postby grinch » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 am

I'm Steve Grice aka Grinch. My RAG career started at Aston back in 2001. I haven't done a great deal in RAG for a while, and I'm not entirely sure if that's 'cos I'm too old or too lazy these days, but I'm still around and may be persuaded to come out to play from time to time.

Always happy to make new friends. PM me if you want to chat on or off line. Cheers, GRINCH.
A teardrop consists of electrolytes and salt, the chemistry of crying is not concerned with blame or fault ~ Paul Simon
grinch
Valuable contributor

Next

Return to About us